How limiting beliefs impact and interfere with success
Limiting beliefs are thoughts or attitudes that we may consciously or unconsciously hold onto that limit our partnership, our business and us. These beliefs often prevent our natural growth from moving more smoothly and progressively. We may not even be aware that such an idea is a belief, let alone a limiting belief. We just assimilate these ideas into our existence and it simply becomes the way we see the world and ourselves. These beliefs are usually intact by the time we are seven years old.
In order to be more aware of our subconscious thinking we have to know which beliefs are limiting our lives. Even if your life is good right now and your business is doing well, there is so much more that awaits you as you become more aware of your thinking.
This process can take hours or even weeks of reflection. Take your time and be curious to investigate your past. It provides information about attitudes and beliefs that you may or may not continue to hold today. Positive, as well as negative memories are equally as significant.
Here are some examples of limiting beliefs. Check the ones that resonate with you.
Have questions or feeling unsure? Click the blue heart to schedule a COMPLIMENTARY 45-minute Needs Discovery Session.
BLOG: You Who?
Self-awareness is not self-centeredness, and spirituality is not narcissism. ‘Know thyself ’ is not a narcissistic pursuit. ~Marianne Williamson
The first step in empowering any of us to thrive personally and professionally starts with each of us knowing who we are on a deep level. In the creation of the successful business and relationship it requires that you understand this about yourself because you will be required to continuously grow beyond your conditioned past. It will require courage. It may not often feel easy or fun while you are in the process.
Yes, self-awareness is our starting point to personal and professional success, and yet, we are often on autopilot in many areas of our lives repeating habits and thereby self-sabotage our efforts. Our early experiences and previous relationships may have set the tone, however, to thrive in business with your partner you have to think and act differently.
Shakespeare had it right: “This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”
Easier said than done, however! We live in a world that often tugs at us to conform and be like everyone else. In the process, we can lose our way and wonder how we ended up where we are. Sometimes we will find ourselves in patterns of behavior and thinking that seem hard to change.
The great news is no matter where we are currently in this awareness we can change and we can know ourselves better and love ourselves more.
Next, let's take a preliminary look at one of the starting points for this personal journey.
Our BS (Belief System)
Our belief system (BS) determines how we view the world, how we interact in it and our results.
It is widely accepted that about 95 percent of our BS was formed and integrated into our way of thinking by our seventh birthday, and that 95 percent of our daily behavior is programmed by our subconscious mind leaving only 5 percent left to our conscious mind. (Dr. Bruce Lipton, The Biology of Belief)
Therefore, self-awareness, which includes knowing more about what we believe, is our starting point to personal and professional success, cutting through our autopilot natures that can self-sabotage our efforts.
To grow in both spheres, we have to expand our thinking and beliefs beyond our comfort zone. Although comfortable because it is familiar, there is no growth in the comfort zone . . . ever!
Excerpt from Chapter 2 of Valerie & Michael’s upcoming book, Courageous Couples.
P.S. If you would like more support in applying these principles, give us a call. In between our speaking and coaching engagements, we carve out a few individualized sessions each month. Schedule your appointment here.